Jason Schneider

Jason Schneider  |  Feb 20, 2020  |  0 comments

I’m a film dinosaur—about 40% of the pictures I shoot are made on black-and white film, and my favorite analog cameras range in age from 50-100 years. For the remaining 60%, I shoot digitally, sometimes with a vintage lens attached to help capture a "retro" look.

Jason Schneider  |  Jan 31, 2020  |  0 comments

The recent CES 2020 show in Las Vegas showcased the usual profusion of smart tech and AI-empowered gadgets, so few expected that the most most exciting news in the imaging world would come in the form of two new back-to-the-future full frame DSLRs from Nikon and Canon.

Jason Schneider  |  Jan 10, 2020  |  0 comments

Full frame digital cameras have been a dominant force in the imaging marketplace for quite some time, and as we begin 2020 “the year of perfect vision,” mirrorless cameras have clearly surpassed DSLRs in terms of new product introductions and overall sales figures. The reasons aren't hard to fathom.

Jason Schneider  |  Dec 11, 2019  |  0 comments

Street photography, capturing authentic, un-posed pictures of people being themselves, is a genre that dates back to the mid 19th century. It rapidly evolved with the introduction smaller cameras like the 35mm Leica I of 1925, and as faster films and high-speed lenses of superior quality became available.

Jason Schneider  |  Oct 18, 2019  |  0 comments

Aimed at sophisticated shooters who don't mind spending a bit more on a small camera (instead of using their smart phone), the five best premium compact cameras in this buying guide have large sensors and robust feature sets that deliver outstanding performance and superior image control.

Jason Schneider  |  Oct 09, 2019  |  0 comments

Prime lenses, unlike zooms, provide only a single fixed focal length. Despite that limitation prime lenses can be versatile, proficient picture takers that are smaller and lighter than comparable zooms and often deliver superior image quality along with wider apertures.

Jason Schneider  |  Sep 25, 2019  |  0 comments

You want a cutting-edge mirrorless camera system, but you don't want to pay bleeding edge prices for it? The good news is there are many excellent mirrorless cameras you can buy without busting your budget. In the following guide, we pick our seven favorite mirrorless cameras for under $1000.

Jason Schneider  |  Sep 18, 2019  |  0 comments

Newsflash! So-called entry-level DSLRs are no longer stripped-down models built to fit a bargain-basement price point. In fact, many budget DSLRs these days let you enter at a higher level photographically while not putting a dent in your wallet. The following are our choices for the five best DSLR kits (including lenses) for $750 or less.

Jason Schneider  |  Aug 27, 2019  |  0 comments

The landmark Kine Exakta camera of 1936 was world’s first successful 35mm SLR. Although the Russians announced their Sport 35mm SLR a year earlier, this ingenious but ungainly clunker was made in limited quantities from about 1937-1941 and distributed only in the Soviet Union. The Kine Exakta, on the other hand, was an instant international success and its maker, Ihagee of Dresden, Germany, produced it and its successors in huge quantities, enjoying robust worldwide sales.

Jason Schneider  |  Apr 24, 2019  |  0 comments

I confess to being a cantankerous old coot who cut his photographic eyeteeth deep in the analog era.

Pages

X