Help! Page 2

Tracking Down Old Cameras
Q. For the last three weeks, I have been trying to identify some very old Kodak cameras that were discovered after my mother died. I have no idea what they are or if they have any value. I contacted and they suggested that you might be able to help in identifying them. I have photographed all of them and could supply you with the photos. One is an old bellows type with a latest patent date of 1909; another has a date of 1917. Some have bellows in perfect condition. One is a pocket Kodak (at least that has its name on it). I just don't know anything about them and cannot find any book in the entire library catalog of North Carolina that can help. I don't want to throw away something that may be an example of a seldom-seen camera. Have you any suggestions as to websites that may have photos that could help me identify the models I have? Is there a magazine that I missed at Barnes & Noble that could put me in touch with someone who could help? This has been a very discouraging exercise and I would appreciate any help you can give.
Lucille Zane
via Internet

A. Without more specific information about the exact models of old Kodak cameras you inherited I cannot begin to determine their value today. Most older Kodaks will have some identifying data or name such as Brownie, Hawkeye, Premo, etc. plus a number 1A, 2, 2A, 3, 3A which helps zero in on the exact camera you have. You might want to seek some camera collector reference books which tend to be well illustrated so you can compare your cameras with the pictures and find a current value. One of the best books of this type is McKeown's Price Guide to Antique & Classic Cameras which lists for $139. Another good reference specifically for Kodak models is Kodak Cameras--The First Hundred Years for $54. There is a Collectors Guide to Kodak Cameras for $17 and the Hove International Blue Book for $45. There are literally dozens of similar camera reference books, these are several I'm more familiar with as I have them in my collection. Perhaps your local library can put in a search for these books in the North Carolina system. You can purchase these books at several websites, including I would think that larger bookstores such Barnes & Noble might also have one or more of these books.

Name That Price
Q. I have the following equipment I want to sell but I don't know what it is worth: 1) Yashica FR1; 2) Tamron F 1:35/200mm lens; 3) Sunpak Softlite 1600A flash; 4) Yashica winder; 5) Yashica ML zoom 35-70mm 1:3.5-4.8; and 6) Telemore95 II doubler. Could you let me know what you think these things are worth and how to go about placing an ad in your magazine?
Todd Graf
via Internet

A. Your 1978 vintage Yashica FR1 SLR camera has a used price range of $75-$100 today. Unfortunately, my camera collector pricing guides just don't mention current prices on other accessories such as the several interchangeable lenses, flash, winder, and tele-extender you also seek to sell, so I cannot offer any estimated price on them. One way to find prices on such items is to use eBay and type the unit into the Search box. This might or might not result in a hit. Every issue of Shutterbug has a Classified Order Form at the beginning of the Classified Ad section. Or you can write: Classified Dept., Shutterbug, 1419 Chaffee Dr., Ste. 1, Titusville, FL 32780, or call them at (321) 225-3122. Good luck in disposing of your equipment.

Prestige Paper Mark
Q. Three years ago, when our daughter graduated from high school, my husband took pictures and had the film developed somewhere (we don't know where) that used Prestige paper--that is on the back of the pictures. The pictures were 4" prints and have a white frame around the image. We love these pictures but cannot find any business in our area that develops pictures like this. We want the white frame around the picture. Can you help us?
Steve and Daisy Carter
via Internet

A. The Prestige imprint on photographic papers was formerly used on a line of direct positive papers made by Kodak for making color prints from color slides--not prints from color negatives as is the case with most photofinishing today. I just spoke with a contact at Kodak and found out the Prestige line of color papers was discontinued in 1991. Possibly somebody else is now using this imprint on papers, but I have no idea who. The prints with white borders are the way nearly all prints were produced many decades ago when enlargements were made one at a time and processed individually. Although professional photo labs still make prints this way, the sheer bulk of photofinishing is done on automated machines that enlarge the color negative image onto a roll of continuous paper 4" wide by hundreds of feet long--all with no borders as the image goes right out to the edge of the paper. Some labs might attempt to set their work apart from the competition by making prints with white borders today, but, unfortunately, I have no leads to direct you to that type of lab. I'm sure the borders were a result of the way the lab made the prints. I know this does not really answer your question, but you might want to check with some professional labs in you area to ask if they can make prints with borders, but be forewarned, this could be much more expensive than conventional minilab finishing or reprinting.